Call for Nominations 2017
Dear ISC2-NCR Colleagues,
We’ve had an extraordinary 2016 so far at ISC2-NCR Chapter. Our membership increased by 50%; we’ve sponsored speakers and socialized at five Chapter meetings; we’ve completed much of the development of a new and improved website and we preserved our federal non-profit status in an IRS audit!
Our Bylaws require that we follow a documented procedure for electing all ISC2-NCR BoD officers for our 2017 election. Major points include:
1. All BoD officers shall be ISC2-NCR members in good standing, and shall serve a term of one year.
2. All BoD officers shall be elected by the members in good standing at our December Member meeting.
3. A member in good standing may nominate himself or another member for any of the officer positions.
Our President has appointed Winn Gaynor (Chapter VP and Treasurer) and Kyle Hendrickson (Membership Chair) to serve on the Election Committee. This committee will work with the Communications Chair reply to coordinate this year's Chapter elections.
To initiate this process, please reply to this email to indicate your nominations for any or all of the offices by October 31. Please nominate only one member to each position. You may self-nominate.
For reference, our 2016 BoD is identified here: http://www.isc2ncrchapter.org/officers.
There will be more to come as we step through the election process.
Thank you for your membership this year, and looking forward to a productive 2017 at ISC2-NCR!
About the (ISC)2-NCR Chapter
(ISC)2-NCR is a non-profit chapter of (ISC)2 for the National Capital Region. (ISC)² is the global leader in educating and certifying information security professionals throughout their careers. Its reputation has earned its information security certifications numerous awards and global recognition. As one of its charter chapters, (ISC)2-NCR will have access to current industry information, networking opportunities, discounts on industry conferences and many other valuable career tools.
As one of (ISC)2’s first chapters, (ISC)2-NCR is committed to advancing the goals and objectives of (ISC)2 in the National Capital Region. In that capacity, we are dedicated to expanding the population of certified information security practitioners and advocating for the information security practitioner workforce in the National Capital Region, by providing training opportunities and events that offer continuing professional education (CPE) credits; by organizing committees around thematic topics of current interest in the information security professionalization field; by publishing reports, white papers, blogs and other products that advocate and advance the interests of the information security professional in the National Capital Region; and by being a strident and consistent voice for information security workforce professionalization in the National Capital Region and across the globe.
The (ISC)2-NCR Chapter provides the following additional benefits to chapter members:
- Presentation of chapter events, including monthly conferences, special seminars, CISSP and CAP review courses, networking mixers, and the chapter’s annual meeting. Chapter members may attend chapter events for no additional charge. All events can be viewed through the chapter's event calendar.
- Publication of the chapter's newsletter, Capital InfoSecurity (notional). The newsletter contains a message from the chapter President, articles and book reviews, and chapter event information.
- Communication of chapter news and activities through periodic e-mails, the chapter news page, and an RSS news feed.
- Arrangement of special training offers for chapter members, which are listed on the chapter's event calendar.
- Providing online resources, such as presentations from chapter events and job announcements.
About the (ISC)2
(ISC)² is based out of Palm Harbor, Florida and consists of over 80,000 members worldwide. Our chapter program provides members a forum to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and ideas, development of leadership and professional skills, and advancement of information systems security. We also provide our members with access to a variety of industry resource and educational programs to keep our members informed of the latest advances in technology and techniques.
Our members consist of (ISC)² credentialed professionals who hold either a SSCP, CAP, CSSLP, and/or a CISSP or advanced concentration certification. Our chapter program is focused on sharing knowledge and exchanging ideas among security professionals in the local area. Ultimately, we want to advance the field of information security by educating practitioners and the public at large on how to protect and defend against security threats. Learn more about the benefits of becoming a Chapter Member, visit our Membership page.
Our chapter business meetings are held monthly, and professional events and activities are held at various times throughout the year. Visit our Events page for our calendar of upcoming events!
Our Mailing Address(ISC)2-National Capital Region
(ISC)2 National Capital Region Chapter October Member Meeting
October Member Meeting (October 11th, 2016)
- Chapter News: BOD Nominations for 2017, Updates on Chapter related activities, meetings, events, etc.
- Featured Presentation: “It's all about the numbers” presented by Sherri Ramsay
Ms. Ramsay is currently the Senior Advisor to the CEO of CyberPoint International, where she is engaged in strategy development and planning, partnership development, and marketing. She is a member of the Board of Advisors for the Hume Research Center at Virginia Tech and a member of the Board of Directors for EiQ Networks.
Ms. Ramsay is the former Director of the National Security Agency/Central Security Service Threat Operations Center (NTOC) and a former member of the Armed Forces Communications Electronic Administration (AFCEA) Board of Directors.
When: Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 from 6-8 pm.
Where: IBM - Bethesda Office
6710 Rockledge Drive
Bethesda, MD 20817
Qualified members will earn two (2) CPEs for attending.
2. Add your name and (ISC)2 Member ID (if you have one).
3. Please indicate how you plan to attend: In-person, via WebEx or via Telephone
3. If attending in-person, we will email you to let you know whether or not we’ve reserved a space for you. If attending virtually, you will not receive a confirmation.
TO JOIN THE MEETING:
To join the meeting in-person:
Please report to the lobby of building between 5:30-6:00pm.
Be sure to sign the sign-in sheet to earn CPE credits.
To join the meeting via WebEx:
1. [Ctrl+Click] HERE to JOIN the meeting at the scheduled time
2. Enter the meeting number: 194 168 995
3. Enter this password: ISCOctober
*Be sure to enter your name when logging in to earn CPE credits
To join the meeting via telephone:
1. Dial (415) 655-0001 at the scheduled time
2. Enter the meeting number: 194 168 995
*Be sure to answer during roll-call to earn CPE credits.
Please use GPS and/or print maps ahead of time using an online mapping service (e.g., Google Maps).
Welcome to the (ISC)² National Capital Region Chapter
The (ISC)2 mission is to advance information security in local communities throughout the world by providing our members and other security professionals with the opportunity to share knowledge, grow professionally, educate others, and collaborate on projects. The purpose of our National Capital Region chapter is therefore straightforward: anyone with an interest in IT/Cyber security is welcome to join. All we ask is that agree to abide by the (ISC)2 code of Ethics and the National Capital Region Chapter By-Laws and not have a criminal record. Membership on the Board of Directors requires a certification with (ISC)2.
We plan to provide at least 1-2 monthly presentations by a well known speaker(s) in either Government and/or Private industry topics covering the (ISC)2 CBK domains. We will also be creating study groups for various certifications based on the needs of the membership and will be working out collaborative agreements with educational institutions for discounted IT Security classes on subjects requested by our members. In essence, if you would like to:
- stay informed on the latest trends in IT/Cybersecurity,
- exchange ideas with the IT Security leaders,
- obtain discounts to IT/Cybersecurity classes, and
- network with the colleagues and leaders in IT/Cybersecurity
then you need to become a member.
If you would like to be a part of an exciting group of professionals who are interested in discussing hot topics in information and application security, then attend one of our monthly meetings to meet the chapter and learn who we are! Or attend one of our upcoming educational conferences to learn from industry experts, network with your peers, and earn CPE credits! For a full list and details of upcoming events, visit our Events page.